In an effort to maintain safety in a rapidly-changing Covid environment, we now require registration for all in-person events held at AA Synagogue. Whether registering online or over the phone, registrants 16 years or older will be required to provide proof of vaccination or a negative PCR test result prior to the event. (Negative PCR test results are only valid for 48 hours and, therefore, must be shown at the door on the day of the event.) A mask must be worn at all times when inside the building.
- This event has passed.
Selichot Weekend with Artist-in-Residence Rabbi Josh Warshawsky
Fri, Aug 27 - Sat, Aug 28
Kick off the liturgical High Holiday season with a weekend of heart-opening Torah and song. Rabbi Josh Warshawsky will lead us in uplifting prayer and song, helping us to connect deeper to ourselves, our community, and our tradition as we prepare spiritually for the High Holidays. See below for a full schedule of programs and services! Registration is required to attend any of the in-person events.
Rabbi Warshawsky is a nationally touring Jewish musician, song leader, and composer. Josh seeks to build intentional praying communities by traveling to synagogues, camps, and schools across the country, sharing his music and teachings on prayer. He is originally from Chicago and has released three albums of Jewish music with a fourth on the way in 2021. Josh composes melodies to open up new possibilities for understanding the deep meaning of the words of our tradition. Josh was ordained by the Ziegler School of Rabbinic Studies in Los Angeles.
Friday, August 27
- Shabbat Evening Service with Rabbi Warshawsky – 6 pm | Main Sanctuary and Zoom: Rabbi Warshawsky leads an upbeat, musical Friday night service.
- Shabbat Zemirot (Songs for Shabbat) with Rabbi Warshawsky and Friends – 9 pm | Zoom
Saturday, August 28
- Shabbat Morning Service with Rabbi Warshawsky – 9:30 am – 12 pm | Main Sanctuary and Zoom: Rabbi Warshawsky and Rabbi Blustin will lead the congregation in upbeat Shabbat t'fillot (prayer). Rabbi Warshawsky will also give the sermon.
- Rebbe's Tish and Light Kiddush – 12:30 pm (outdoors and in-person only): Come learn new Shabbat zemirot (songs for shabbat) and melodies that will be a part of Rabbi Warshawsky's evening concert and Selichot service.
- Mincha/Ma'ariv/Havdallah Service – 7:45 pm | Main Sanctuary and Zoom
- Rabbi Warshawsky in Concert and Selichot – 8:30 pm | Main Sanctuary and Zoom: Kick off the High Holiday season by raising our voices and spirit as an AA community. Rabbi Warshawsky will share some of his original music and Torah, and with our rabbis, lead us through the liturgy of turning and returning that typifies this season.
Sunday, August 29
- Kesher Havdallah and Learning – 9:45 am – 12 pm: Rabbi Warshawsky joins Kesher families for Havdallah and learning (Kesher students only)