- This event has passed.
SOAP UP Super Bowl Atlanta
Sun, Jan 27 @ 9:30 am - 3:30 pm
Ahavath Achim’s AAACTS Committee (Action and Awareness to Abolish Child Trafficking for Sex) and The Episcopal Diocese of Atlanta’s Commission on DMST (Domestic Minor Sex Trafficking) invite you to participate in SOAP UP Super Bowl Atlanta! On January 27, help us label 20,000 soap bars with the national human trafficking 800+ hotline number and distribute them to hotels surrounding Mercedes Benz Stadium where the Super Bowl will be held on Sunday, February 3. Hotels are hot spots for trafficking, the second leading crime in the U.S., and rates will quadruple during large sporting events. Labeled soap bars will be placed in hotel bathrooms, creating the opportunity for victims to seek necessary help.
The SOAP Project was founded by author, advocate and survivor, Theresa Flores. On her worst night, after being auctioned off to nearly two dozen men in a dingy, dirty, inner-city Detroit motel, Theresa recalled the only item that would have reached out to her, a bar of soap. With that in mind, she created SOAP to help reach out to other victims.
The SOAP Project is a hands-on outreach program to fight sex trafficking at large events and within communities. It is specifically focused on educating and increasing awareness in the public on the prevalence of human trafficking, in order to restore trafficked survivors and to prevent teens from being victimized by domestic, minor, sex trafficking. SOAP National travels all over the U.S. to hold outreaches during high-demand events like the Super Bowl, NCAA Final Four, Indy 500 and many more. They partner with local organizations to distribute millions of bars of soap wrapped with a red band that gives the National Human Trafficking Hotline number and educational resources to high-risk motels.
Become part of the solution to ending human trafficking in Atlanta! If you wish to participate, please sign up through the link below. For more information, contact the AAACTS Co-Chairs: Linda Bressler (email@example.com); Margie Eden at (firstname.lastname@example.org).
If you would like to participate in SOAP UP Atlanta, please sign up through the link below!
SOAP by the Numbers
- 83-100% of all hotels accept the labeled soap during an outreach.
- Almost 100% of the hotels take the missing children poster and trafficking educational materials.
- Generally at least 1 missing child is identified by hotel staff during each outreach.
- Polaris Project has reported that calls double to the hotline number the week S.O.A.P. has done an outreach.
- Michigan Crimes Against Children agency reports a dramatic increase in calls to their tip line during outreaches.
- Each outreach consists of 30-500 volunteers. Once volunteers have completed the outreach, they are now educated in Human Trafficking 101.
- Each hotel receives $50 worth of free materials and resources.
*AAACTS is an award winning volunteer service group based at Ahavath Achim Synagogue with a mission of providing Action and Awareness to Abolish Child Trafficking for Sex.
- Sun, Jan 27
9:30 am - 3:30 pm
- Event Categories:
- Action and Awareness to Abolish Child Trafficking for Sex (AAACTS), Social Action
Tue, Jun 25 @ 9:00 am - 11:00 am
Sun, Aug 18 @ 7:30 am - 3:30 pm